Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Bags
Because Time Is Money
Checkpoint friendly laptop bags can save you and your fellow travelers some valuable time when going through airport security... because you do not have to remove the laptop from you bag anymore.
What Makes Laptop Bag Checkpoint Friendly?
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) issues guidelines for what is considered to be airport security friendly laptop bag. The TSA Checkpoint Friendly Rules state that the bag must have a designated laptop only section:
- The laptop bag has a designated laptop only section that you can lay flat on the X-ray belt
- There are no metal snaps, zippers, or buckles inside, under, or on top of the designated laptop only section
- There are no pockets on the inside or outside of the designated laptop only section
The TSA checkpoint friendly rules also instruct you to:
- Put nothing other than the laptop in the designated laptop only section
- Completely unfold the bag so that there is nothing above or below the laptop only section, i.e. allowing the bag to lie flat on the X-ray belt
The following laptop bag designs meet the TSA requirements, i.e. allowing the designated laptop only section to lay flat on the X-ray belt, producing clear and unobstructed image of the laptop when undergoing X-ray screening.
Courtesy of Transportation Security Administration
Using checkpoint friendly laptop bag does not guarantee that you can leave your laptop in the bag for screening. Airport authorities can still instruct you to remove the laptop for separate screening, i.e. TSA reserves the right to re-screen any bag or laptop regardless of the design of the bag.
This is though unlikely to happen unless the bag does not present clear and distinct image of the laptop.
How Can You Be Sure Your Laptop Bag Is Checkpoint Friendly?
Luggage manufacturer are increasingly offering checkpoint friendly laptop bags. But can you just take their words for it?
Checkpoint friendly bags usually look no different from other bags so you should always double check if the bag really fulfills the above TSA checkpoint friendly rules.
There must be laptop only section that can be unfolded to lie flat on the X-ray belt.
It has to be laptop sleeve or butterfly or trifold style, and there can be no obstructions, like snaps, zippers, or buckles.